About Me

My photo
Since 1984, my light commentary, Marginal Considerations, has been a feature of Weekend Radio. Moving into the 21st century (yeah, I know - a decade late and more than a dollar short), it may be time to explore the format known as "the blog." (Still on the radio, BTW.) I am the author of A Natural History of Socks, illustrated by the late Eric May, You May Already Be a Winner (and other marginal considerations) and The Nonexistence of Rutabagas, plus maybe 1K features, essays, book and arts reviews in newspapers and magazines nearly everywhere, except perhaps Kansas. I live on Lake Erie one city to the west of Cleveland with too many musical instruments, several large plants and no cats. My front door is purple. I collect dust, take up space and burn fossil fuel. I kayak, knit, hike, sing, canoe, write choral music and play hammered dulcimer, but not all at the same time. I read too much and don't write enough, but what's new?

Monday, July 18, 2011

Sheer dumb luck

I have no idea who's in charge, but I know I'm not.

Flashback #1 - Weary of the demands of an older home, I decided to make the condo move. My hunt for just the right space met with success. Then my bank guy called. "I can't approve you for this," he said. What?! My credit report was showing a five-figure debt, a loan that absolutely was not mine. Eventually it got sorted out, but in the six weeks (yes, six weeks) that it took to correct the mistake, the housing bubble burst, the stock market tanked . . . and I breathed a deep sigh of relief that I wasn't stuck with a new mortgage on top of diminished investments and a big house that would take too long to sell for too little.

Flashback #2 - I was all set to commune with the loons. I planned to camp around Lake Superior and  venture into the wilderness of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. A fifth eye surgery (yes, a fifth) forced a postponement. As a result, instead of being beyond pavement and out of cell phone reach in northern Minnesota, I was at home when the warranty ran out on my appendix. The EMS wagon was in my driveway almost before I finished reciting my address. Six days (yes, six days) in the hospital was not the vacation I had in mind, but I lived to gripe about it. Which would not have been the case if I'd had my way.

A sixth ophthalmological procedure is now on my calendar. This one is no big deal, barely a blip compared to two transplanted corneas. (Yes, I look at the world through other people's eyes.) That I can see at all, that I live with these challenges in this rich place at this amazing time instead of ending up as some tiger's lunch, is no minor miracle. Just sheer dumb luck, eh?

2 comments:

  1. Well, I for one am glad you are here, glad you can see, glad to know your humor, your music, your writing and your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jan,
    Like "fullsoulahead," I'm glad that you are what you are. But I'm not so sure about "dumb luck." I believe--pretty strongly--that all those who love and appreciate you--whether they be present or past or future--have sent you vibes and energy and chi and prayers and thoughts and heartwishes that have blessed your life and your eyes. I'm so grateful to have found your blog. May the sixth procedure go well. Peace

    ReplyDelete