About Me

My photo
Since 1984, my light commentary, Marginal Considerations, has been a feature of Weekend Radio. Moving into the 21st century (yeah, I know - a decade late and more than a dollar short), it may be time to explore the format known as "the blog." (Still on the radio, BTW.) I am the author of A Natural History of Socks, illustrated by the late Eric May, You May Already Be a Winner (and other marginal considerations) and The Nonexistence of Rutabagas, plus maybe 1K features, essays, book and arts reviews in newspapers and magazines nearly everywhere, except perhaps Kansas. I live on Lake Erie one city to the west of Cleveland with too many musical instruments, several large plants and no cats. My front door is purple. I collect dust, take up space and burn fossil fuel. I kayak, knit, hike, sing, canoe, write choral music and play hammered dulcimer, but not all at the same time. I read too much and don't write enough, but what's new?

Monday, October 24, 2011

Ideas of Heaven (the poem)

(One amongst you heard me read this in some art gallery some years ago, and asked for it, spurred no doubt by the end of the world post. Here it is.)

Ideas of Heaven

My knees don't hurt, there's no opera or chewing gum
no one wears fur or smells of mothballs and nothing
makes me sneeze but
here's the thing - it's not crowded -
you can always find a parking space
even though everyone is here
all my friends, with banjos and dulcimers, not just harps
and no one sings off-key, not even
Amelia Earhart, who was excused from the training because
she already knew how to fly.

Dante and his surfeit of circles?
We are having a much better time. Of course
Mozart is here and Dr. Seuss
Michelangelo, even if (or maybe because) he was gay
Joan of Arc, Catherine, St. Francis with all his little birds
the usual suspects, but also - get this -
Hamen, Quisling, Stalin, Machiavelli
the whole constellation of one-name villains
and Svengali, just because I like to say it
even . . . yes . . . wait for it . . . Saddam.
And the fat boy who jumped me at recess
every damn day in the third grade because
in my heaven, everyone is redeemable.
Everyone. That's what makes it heaven.

Oh, and the hot tub.
Don't forget the hot tub.

5 comments:

  1. Can Eddie Murphy be in the hot tub? I can't think of a hot tub without him. I'm permanently hot tub infected this way.

    http://www.hulu.com/watch/97800/saturday-night-live-james-browns-celebrity-hot-tub-party

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's your heaven - you can have anybody you want in your hot tub. As for mine I welcome all but just don't want it to get too crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What interesting people to talk with and to learn about. They'll tell us their dreams and disappointments. Their tragedies and joys. And we'll spend eternity, which will be but a moment of bliss, in discovering one another.

    Oh, and I want Johnny Depp and Matt Damon in that hot tub!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete