About Me

My photo
Since 1984, my light commentary, Marginal Considerations, has been a feature of Weekend Radio. Moving into the 21st century (yeah, I know - a decade late and more than a dollar short), it may be time to explore the format known as "the blog." (Still on the radio, BTW.) I am the author of A Natural History of Socks, illustrated by the late Eric May, You May Already Be a Winner (and other marginal considerations) and The Nonexistence of Rutabagas, plus maybe 1K features, essays, book and arts reviews in newspapers and magazines nearly everywhere, except perhaps Kansas. I live on Lake Erie one city to the west of Cleveland with too many musical instruments, several large plants and no cats. My front door is purple. I collect dust, take up space and burn fossil fuel. I kayak, knit, hike, sing, canoe, write choral music and play hammered dulcimer, but not all at the same time. I read too much and don't write enough, but what's new?

Monday, November 21, 2011

Emergency parking

I’m back from a few days book-ended by to and fro on the interstate highways of Ohio. Here and elsewhere, I’ve noticed small pull-out areas with signs reading, “Emergency Parking  2 hour limit.”
That strikes me as amusing (but then, what doesn’t?). Seems to me that if your emergency has continued for as long as two hours without an EMS wagon showing up, you’re in deep difficulty. Or maybe not.
Once upon a time (I was all of nineteen years old), in a land far away (on the PA turnpike somewhere between Pittsburgh and the Breezewood exit), I pulled off on the side of the road.
A trooper stopped behind me and walked up to my car, a homely Rambler passed on to me by my grandmother, a car my friends somewhat unkindly nicknamed “the bathtub.” 
“Is everything OK, Miss?” he asked, bending over to peer into my low-to-the-ground window.
“I’m fine,” I answered, scribbling away on a sheet of staff paper.
He paused. “You can’t stop on the shoulder except in an emergency.”
“This IS an emergency,” I said, no doubt with some degree of adolescent drama. “Something was playing in my head and I had to get it down before I forgot it!” 
I continued to write. “You know,” he said, both elbows still on the door frame, “I could give you a ticket.”
“I’m almost finished,” I said. “Really, I’m just about done.”
He sighed and straightened up for a moment. He bent back down to my window. “Don’t . . . ever . . . do this again,” he said, then walked back to his car and drove off.
It was a different age. Today he’d have run my license and registration through his computer and probably told me to step out of the car. And he probably would have given me a ticket. Unless, of course, I parked in one of those emergency parking places. Then, I would’ve had two long legal hours to work. I might have finished the whole piece right there.

2 comments:

  1. You had me at "Rambler"... oy... smashed my parents Rambler at the Big and Little Store.... this is very funny...You were one brave kid.... Who doesn't look up when a state trooper is looming in their car?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. I can totally see this happening. You have to snatch those bits of creativity when they come through!

    I got pulled over once for swerving all over the place. I'd been dancing in the car. A good song was on the radio. In my defense I was about 20. And another time I drove through a fence in someone's yard, because I was so into a song. If you must know it was 1986 and it was Prince. How could I help myself? In my defense, I was about 17.

    Music gets us in trouble.

    ReplyDelete