About Me

My photo
Since 1984, my light commentary, Marginal Considerations, has been a feature of Weekend Radio. Moving into the 21st century (yeah, I know - a decade late and more than a dollar short), it may be time to explore the format known as "the blog." (Still on the radio, BTW.) I am the author of A Natural History of Socks, illustrated by the late Eric May, You May Already Be a Winner (and other marginal considerations) and The Nonexistence of Rutabagas, plus maybe 1K features, essays, book and arts reviews in newspapers and magazines nearly everywhere, except perhaps Kansas. I live on Lake Erie one city to the west of Cleveland with too many musical instruments, several large plants and no cats. My front door is purple. I collect dust, take up space and burn fossil fuel. I kayak, knit, hike, sing, canoe, write choral music and play hammered dulcimer, but not all at the same time. I read too much and don't write enough, but what's new?

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Falling into a book

I have fallen in love again. Last week it was a tree, a modest young river birch with curls of creamy bark. I visited it at least once a day, took photos of it, watched it in the rain. This week, or at least today, it is a book, though sometimes it is music or the rainbows on my wall. (I am easily amused.)
One week driving back and forth to the other side of town for a school residency, it was a song by the Wailin' Jennies. I played the track, singing along to add an additional harmony that is, to my ear, absolutely essential, then pushed the 'back' button on the CD player to do it over again. For ten 40" trips between home and school, I lived in that song.
Now, as I said, it is a book,  The Memory Palace, by Mira Bartok. A memoir of life as the daughter of a schizophrenic, it is sometimes dark but never dreary, and written in such luminous language that I cannot stop reading it. I read last night until I fell asleep and picked it up again when I woke, still in my pajamas when a friend stops at 10am. I am living in this book instead of writing or cleaning or seeing to the laundry or other chores. I cannot wait to finish this book and I never want it to end. So it goes.

3 comments:

  1. I love when that happens. There is nothing like it. I love how you live in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love it when that happens! I think I need to get that book.

    Nice blog, Jancy! You are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jan,
    That is such a lovely thing you wrote about my book. Thank you so much. A friend sent me a link to your blog so I checked it out and there was your review. :-)
    Best Wishes,
    Mira Bartok

    ReplyDelete