About Me

My photo
Since 1984, my light commentary, Marginal Considerations, has been a feature of Weekend Radio. Moving into the 21st century (yeah, I know - a decade late and more than a dollar short), it may be time to explore the format known as "the blog." (Still on the radio, BTW.) I am the author of A Natural History of Socks, illustrated by the late Eric May, You May Already Be a Winner (and other marginal considerations) and The Nonexistence of Rutabagas, plus maybe 1K features, essays, book and arts reviews in newspapers and magazines nearly everywhere, except perhaps Kansas. I live on Lake Erie one city to the west of Cleveland with too many musical instruments, several large plants and no cats. My front door is purple. I collect dust, take up space and burn fossil fuel. I kayak, knit, hike, sing, canoe, write choral music and play hammered dulcimer, but not all at the same time. I read too much and don't write enough, but what's new?

Friday, May 13, 2011

Browsing the classifieds

Every now and then I browse through the classified ads. (I’m not looking for a job or a new house. I think it’s just an excuse to sit with another cup of coffee.) These expeditions beyond the borders of my own little life inevitably prove that there is no available job for which I’m qualified, and no real estate I can afford, at least not anywhere I’m willing to live.

Today I took it a step further and leafed through an ad supplement that was tucked in with the morning paper. A thorough perusal of those shiny pages reassured me that not only is there nothing I need, there’s nothing (no thing) that I want, at least not from that store.

A career in the arts rarely leads to fortune or, for that matter,  more than moderate fame. If I worked in another field – you know, like if I had a real job - I might have more money. But I have enough money, so what would be the point? I am what I want to be when I grow up, with sufficient music and writing projects to keep me busy for at least another lifetime.

Looking past the obvious - that I have no marketable skills and not a ton of money -  I take these periodic revelations as evidence that, despite repeated attempts to sabotage my own life, I am doing exactly what I’m supposed to be doing. (I know, that sounds kind of new-agey but it does seem to be the case.)

As for a house, I have one. There’s a roof over my head and a floor under my feet.  It’s no mansion but it’s mine.  And I am living exactly where I’m supposed to be living.  If I ever moved, I’d have to clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment