About Me

My photo
Since 1984, my light commentary, Marginal Considerations, has been a feature of Weekend Radio. Moving into the 21st century (yeah, I know - a decade late and more than a dollar short), it may be time to explore the format known as "the blog." (Still on the radio, BTW.) I am the author of A Natural History of Socks, illustrated by the late Eric May, You May Already Be a Winner (and other marginal considerations) and The Nonexistence of Rutabagas, plus maybe 1K features, essays, book and arts reviews in newspapers and magazines nearly everywhere, except perhaps Kansas. I live on Lake Erie one city to the west of Cleveland with too many musical instruments, several large plants and no cats. My front door is purple. I collect dust, take up space and burn fossil fuel. I kayak, knit, hike, sing, canoe, write choral music and play hammered dulcimer, but not all at the same time. I read too much and don't write enough, but what's new?

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A person's a person . . .

To paraphrase Marcus Welby, M.D. (aka actor Robert Young), I am not a Presbyterian but I do play one on Sunday mornings. I sing in the local Presby church choir not for reasons of theology but simply because I like the director.
Since I am Presbyterian in robe only, I had no say in the matter, but I was pleased when recently the denomination lifted its ban on gay and lesbian clerics. (My opinion was not solicited but if it were, I’d ask, “What took you so long?”)
A century ago, the country was going to crumble if women got the vote. Well, we did, and it didn’t. Later, our military and our schools were racially integrated without the predicted apocalyptic results. Despite our bigoted little minds, bit by bit, our humanity catches up with us, and we take one more baby step toward full and equal civil rights for all.
We will get there. It’s not a matter of “if,” but “when.” Today’s news is that, according to the latest Gallop poll, more of us support marriage equality than oppose it.
Our most astute contemporary philosopher wrote in Horton Hears a Who, “A person’s a person no matter how small.” I say we go Dr. Seuss one better and make it, “A person’s a person no matter _________.” Fill in the blank, or maybe just leave it at “a person’s a person.”
Come on, people. Get over it. We have real problems to solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment