About Me

My photo
Since 1984, my light commentary, Marginal Considerations, has been a feature of Weekend Radio. Moving into the 21st century (yeah, I know - a decade late and more than a dollar short), it may be time to explore the format known as "the blog." (Still on the radio, BTW.) I am the author of A Natural History of Socks, illustrated by the late Eric May, You May Already Be a Winner (and other marginal considerations) and The Nonexistence of Rutabagas, plus maybe 1K features, essays, book and arts reviews in newspapers and magazines nearly everywhere, except perhaps Kansas. I live on Lake Erie one city to the west of Cleveland with too many musical instruments, several large plants and no cats. My front door is purple. I collect dust, take up space and burn fossil fuel. I kayak, knit, hike, sing, canoe, write choral music and play hammered dulcimer, but not all at the same time. I read too much and don't write enough, but what's new?

Monday, May 23, 2011

Selective biomass removal

There are no weeds. There are only plants flourishing where we do not want them. Weedness is entirely a matter of context.
          I’m pretty sure most of my neighbors consider dandelions to be weeds, while I welcome them in my yard as wildflowers. I find their smiley-face yellow heads cheery. Plus, their presence shows that I don’t poison my yard, a point of pride for me. Of course, I do decapitate the dandelions when eventually I mow the lawn, but they don’t seem to mind – they always come back.
I once had some morning glories climbing up the south side of my porch. Blue ones. Pretty, I thought. When a friend from Nebraska visited, he gaped at them in horror. “You planted these,” he said? “On purpose?” Turns out he and his brothers spent years of after-school hours and sweaty summer days yanking morning glories out of their family’s soybean fields. Context again.
My friend Joan calls weeding “plant killing.” I think that’s optimistic. At best, we discourage them temporarily. I don’t believe anything short of all-out chemical warfare will actually kill the hearty buggers, and even that ultimately proves to be temporary. (Recall the movie Jurassic Park – Nature will find a way.)
Still, I persist in the Sisyphean exercise of extracting timothy grass, bugleweed and purslane from my back garden. It gets me outside, and I can always use the exercise. But I know the task for what it really is: selective biomass removal. And temporary. 

1 comment:

  1. We too have many dandelions. It's amazing how quickly they sprout up after a mowing. I've got bigger fish to fry than worry about them. And yes....who determined they were ugly? They've got such nice color, and the little puffs bring joy to children.

    ReplyDelete